
Ok, so I'm feeling a bit feisty this morning. Guys, I've had it up to here...no, up to HERE...with the flack Arizona is getting for their Immigration Bill. Arizona is like my child...mess with her, you mess with me.
So...how many of you haters have actually READ the bill? Because I find it hysterical that most of you complain about things that don't even pertain. Does anyone even understand the serious problem that Arizona is dealing with when it comes to crime from illegals? And that's just one of a long list of problems.
The haters all criticize the bill for being over the top, when actually the very criticism is what is over the top.
The law requires "police to check with federal authorities on a person's immigration status, if officers have stopped that person for some legitimate reason and come to suspect that he or she might be in the U.S. illegally". And it very specifically states: "For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person". No, this doesn't mean that they can pull over a dark haired person with a fabulous tan. Did anyone notice the two words "lawful contact"??? A simple Google search showed me this: "Lawful contact means the officer is already engaged in some detention of an individual because said individual has already violated some other law". In other words, said individual was tooting down the 101 at 85, or driving with a back seat full of people without seatbelts, or was involved in some other altercation which was a violation of the law. And only AT THAT POINT, when it has been determined that the individual was ALREADY in violation of a law, can the officer determine the immigration status of the individual. I know, scandalous right? Oh, and guess what, the law also clearly says that if someone produces a valid Arizona driver's license, or other state-issued identification, they are presumed to be here legally. Um, yeah. Didn't notice that either, huh? I know, it's because you were too busy jamming your foot in your mouth.
And I'm sorry, but could the wording be any more "um, pardon me, if you would be so kind, with all due respect..."??? I mean really!! It states, "A reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable". Bill writers couldn't have practiced more CYA if they had tried, yet people who have obviously never read the bill continue to squawk and scream about how unjust and how unconstitutional the bill is.
So, let me get this straight. If I'm pulled over for speeding in say, Italy, (because I go there so often...)chances are I will be asked for my passport. Because it's pretty obvious by my pale face and my red hair that I'm not a local. That and my Michigan accent. Anyway, so because the Italian officer (and I'm picturing him to be really cute and all Italian looking) asks for my passport, I have the right to scream discrimination? How dare he try and determine my "immigration status"!! No?? Well then, what's the problem folks?
And for the record, since I'm on a roll - and I've only had one cup of coffee! - since the 1940's it's been a federal law that non-citizens have to carry on their person their green card, work visa, etc, at all times. So, now that Arizona has the cojones to actually ASK to see that documentation, the nation is in an uproar.
Do me a favor, read the darn law. Know what it is you're trying to criticize.
And as for the latest boycott of my state...Hall and Oats?? Oh please. I'm sure that the whole seventeen people who actually considered attending that rockin event are just heart broken.
Stay strong, Arizona. Don't back down. I know you've lost hundreds of millions in revenue from cancelled conventions and other unjust boycotts, but please don't back down. This is right, this is fair. And I have a feeling that in a few years of dealing with the influx of illegals that will surely flee Arizona due to the new law, California, New Mexico, and several other bordering states will probably follow in your awesome footsteps.
4 comments:
AMEN sista!!! I couldn't agree more on this. It's getting so ridiculous!
good post. i was one of the first ones to say "wait? what does this mean? that i'm going to get pulled over because i have dark hair and skin???" and Adam said "No stupid, it means if you are already breaking the law and get pulled over for something like speeding, then they can ask for verification."
phew, thank goodness i have a smart husband who read the bill :) and if i didn't have my smarty pants honey, then i'd have you!
California was threatening to boycott Arizona. My response would be "well, then, we won't give you any more water. And since you're in a serious drought, you can just boycott with your smelly self since you won't have any water to bathe."
Oh girl don't even get me back on my soap box. The WORST are the people who have the great big giant balls to compare Arizona to Nazi Germany. Because that's exactly what we are doing. Rounding up Mexicans and sticking them in camps. It OUTRAGES me. How disgusting and insulting to the memories of 6 million jewish people who lost their lives. How insulting to the millions of immigrants who come to this country and work their asses off to make a better life for their families. We have no issues with immigration, we are just asking that people follow the proper channels. And this makes us racist rednecks?? What if we were in Montana or North Dakota near the Canadian border?? Would we be getting the same reaction? Anyone against this bill needs to come live here. Drive on our freeways. Put their kids in our schools. Sit in one of our emergency rooms for three hours. Then tell me what your opinion is.
Post a Comment