Monday, February 23, 2009

Funkalicious


Abbey has developed a new habit. When Scott walks into the house, she always greets him the same. "Hey Dad! Whasth up??" My little home chicken.


After I picked Cole up from school this afternoon, we were cutting through a neighborhood on our way to the Exxon to get him a little snack. We passed a nice little house with a pretty yard. All along the edges of the shrubs were beautiful bright yellow flowers, like little perfect soldiers in a row. I pointed out the flowers to Cole as we passed, and he says, "Huh. I wonder if they used Roll And Grow?". "What?", I replied. "You know, Roll And Grow - you just roll, water, and grow!"

He is destined for a career in commercial marketing.

So - how goes it with all of you? So-so here. Everything is good, just in a bit of a funk. Nothing serious, so don't flip out with your worry. Not that you would worry about me that much, but it's nice to pretend. ANYWAY, I think it's this weather. I'm so sick and tired of the wind beating me to death every time I open my door. I'm sick of my hair feeling like I've ridden on the back of a motorcycle for 12 hours. I'm sick of my face feeling like it's coated in a thin layer of grit. I'm sick of having that icky dried up trail of eye goo in the corners of my eyes. It's so tiring to be blown at so hard all the time. It's really never ending. Seriously, never stops. So of course with the wind is the pollen and all that goes with that. Stuffy noses, headaches, runny eyes. BLAH!


Enough complaining. We had a really nice weekend. Scott was gone Friday night to Austin for work, so I took the kids and met Holli and Hattie at City Limits for an early dinner of burgers, and then we made a quick trip to Target. See, I have a friend, and this friend shall remain nameless. And if she knows who she is, well that's just fine with me because you know what I'm talking about, Missy. Anywho - this friend? Well, I loaned her my Twilight. My favorite book. The one that encloses the perfect speciman that is Edward. I remember the moment I handed it over to her, I remember our conversation. I remember telling her all about it and I remember her face lighting up as she said she was so excited to start it. So, months have gone by since she borrowed it. It was time for Edward to come home. When I asked her for it back since I was wanting to start the series over again - well this friend denies borrowing it. That's right. Denied. Let me tell you - I know for a fact that poor Edward is stuck under her car's seat somewhere, he's buried in her SUV never to be found again. Probably covered in Goldfish crackers and the stray petrified french fry. So what did I do? I had to buy it again. I can't have three of the four books on my shelf any longer. So, in case you're a little slow today (it's Monday, after all), this was the reason for our trip to Target after dinner. In my excitement to get reacquainted with my Eddie-Poo, I ditched Holli and flew home, tossed the kids in bed, brewed a fantastic latte, got under the covers and read. And read and read and read. It was great. He's great. (Sigh)

Saturday (after reading most of the day) we had friends over for a fight party and my momma's famous chicken and black bean enchiladas. Normally I call them just chicken enchiladas because that's enough of a mouth full of a food title as it is, but if I ever call them that, Mom will ask in a confused voice, "You mean my chicken and black bean enchiladas?" No...the OTHER chicken enchiladas... YES the chicken and black bean enchiladas. Oye. Anyway, I made them - and they were AWESOME. We had fun!! Had our whole crew up, down, and over - except Sid because he wanted to hang out with cool Corvette guy instead of us. Whatever, Sid. Whatever. The kids all played like a bunch of wild animals, and it was a good time had by all.

Sunday was slow. Didn't do much, read more. Then we headed up to Holli's to grill. They introduced us to a domino game called Chicken Foot. I still don't understand why it's called Chicken Foot. It just seemed like plain ole dominos to me, but whatever, it was fun!!

Now it's Monday. I finished Twilight late last night, so I'm on to New Moon. The "where the heck is Edward" book. I'm already dreading his departure. I'll probably cry again.

And Laurie - just read the darn books, please? You'll like them. I swear. And if you don't, then that's fine. More Edward for me.

4 comments:

mp said...

between you and Leigh's last post, I think I read the word 'Chicken' like 156 times.

i too bought twilight again because I have a friend borrowing mine (which is actually Leigh's because she is the bomb like that and mailed me her paperback since she bought the hardback. I on the other hand am not a hardback snob and like my paperback just fine). Anywho I have the little, short paperback with the actors on the cover until I get my original book back. I too re-read it and *sigh* I really do love edward. I just can't compete with the redheads.

glad you had a nice relaxing weekend. i really want the roll and grow stuff. but wait....i live in an apartment! doh!

Leigh Leigh said...

I'm sorry you're in a funk! Is it because you're rereading Twilight and you're feeling sad that Edward isn't real? That's a true disease, you know. It's called Edwardisntrealitis and in rare cases, it requires therapy. Hope tomorrow is better! It will be, I just know it.

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

What you need is a MOJITO. Oooo la la. I guess you girls saw Edward at the Oscars. I loved the books, but I can't really get excited about Robert. Kinda strange looking fella - but he does look like I would imagine Edward looking...Mickey Rourke - now that's a real man.

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

OK - you've been funkalicious for six days now. Time for a new post.