
We just had a perfect day.
We got up Saturday morning and got ready to take Abbey over to Gayle's house so that they could keep her while Scott and I took Cole to the Harlem Globetrotters game. Got her dropped off and then it was off to Starbucks for a quick drink and a little yummy to snack on. So funny, Cole knows how to order at Starbucks - a kids peppermint hot chocolate, please. After a rather uneventful drive - which says a lot since Scott was driving - we were able to score a great parking spot just about spitting distance from the enterance. For the record, it was one of those shady side lots and the spot cost a whopping $15, but it was worth every penny as we didn't have to fight the rush coming out of the "real" parking lot of AA Center. So we get in, get our snacks (because we must be eating every moment of the day), and make our way all the way down to row A for our seats!! Yep, row A!! The first real row behind the floor seats, baby!! Don't know how I got them, but when I went on Ticketmaster to get the tickets at Christmastime, they just popped up. And this place was packed. Cole was beside himself looking around, taking everything in. It was his first trip to the AA Center (where the Mav's and Stars play), and he was loving it.
As for the game, it was awesome. Seriously. If you EVER get a chance to go see them, I highly suggest you do. We all laughed and laughed the entire way through. There were a few times Cole was laughing so hard, he was almost choking. It was so great to sit there with him and watch not only the game, but watch him watch the game. He whooped and hollered and clapped and danced in his seat to the music. We stood up and did the YMCA (even Scott!!), we cheered, we boo'd the Generals when they would cheat. And let me tell you, these guys are serious ball players and rediculous ball handlers. I've never seen anything like it. They pulled kids out of the crowd several times, and they always made sure that the kids "won" whatever challenge they were doing - and these kids got great stuff. Signed balls, signed jerseys. Their mascott was hysterical, and did quite a bit of entertaining as well. Then when it was done, they invite every fan down on the floor for autographs with all the players. If we had more time, we would have done it for sure. Cole got an official Globetrotters ball, so he was thrilled.
Walking back to the car, we listened to Cole chatter on and on about his favorite parts and start to giggle all over again, and I couldn't help but say a little "thanks" for the opportunity for such a great and memorable time with him. I hope he remembers that afternoon with his parents forever, because I surely will.
We made our way home and arrived just in time for Ashley to get to the house. Scott and I had plans to go out with friends (10 of them!) for the evening. Can you believe I have 10 friends?? I can't. We were missing two particular ones, but they were with their family in Houston, so they're forgiven. Anyway, we had dinner at a great little place and listened to a pretty good band for a few hours, then made our way up to the casino. Shawn and Felicia were with us, and about two minutes after Holli and I sat down at machines next to each other, Shawn came running over waving his cash out ticket - it was worth $180. We were so excited for him! Maybe we would win $180!! He said he got it on his second pull. Wow! So I burned my way through $40 while Scott and James and Joe plunked their tails at the blackjack table. Which is fine with me because I know he's occupied for several hours. I ended up by myself for a few minutes at a fun little penny machine, and here comes Shawn again - he was all wide eyed and he shoves another ticket in my face. It read $980! I grabbed his arm and about had a heart attack. He was so excited, but he couldn't find his wife to show her!! Hysterical. So he finds her, and she shows him HER $360 ticket she had just cashed out. By this time, most of us had found each other and we were all stunned at their crazy luck. Shawn and Felicia are about 11 weeks pregnant, so this money is nursery money, and they couldn't have been more excited. By the time all was said and done, Felicia had gathered $460 worth of cash out tickets from the slots and Shawn had $1150. And get this - they came in with $60 between the two of them. The topper of the evening was on the way out, David sat down at a machine and put in a $20. He punched the max bet and spun. He hit the jackpot on that one pull for $1100. We were all in shock. He smacked the cash out button so fast, I thought the machine would fall off it's stand! Off he ran to the cashier, then turned around and silently handed the money to Gayle. Too funny!! She was so excited, for me??!!?? And he said, yes, for you. Scott ended up $50 up and I ended up $35 up. Not nearly what they did, but it was still fun. Those penny slots are a hoot when they start giving you the free spins and flashing and making all the fun noises. I got so excited over 10 free spins, you'd have thought I had won $1100.
This morning came all too soon, as we didn't get home until after 1:00, and I'm listening to the constant smack, smack, smack of Cole dribbling his new basketball on the tile in the living room.
Yes, it was a perfect day. The only thing missing was my Leigh-Pee and Sid. Next weekend you guys, be there or be square!!!
2 comments:
Wow, how cool! everything! the game, the friends, the money! how exciting!
You mean, when I'm gone life goes on? You continue to function? You continue to socialize? The world doesn't revolve around ME? Hmmm. This changes things.
Sorry we missed out but we wouldn't have missed Ken Ken's dance recital for the world! So glad you guys had such a great and prosperous time!
I love the pic of Coley at the game! He WILL remember that forever!
Post a Comment