As some of you know, and probably most of you don't, I've been having a little issue with sleeping through the night for about 6 weeks now. I know it's stress induced, and I'm trying my best to "let go", but come 3:00 AM - I'm wide awake and the gerbil in my brain is speeding around her wheel.
To tell you the truth, most of what I think about is ridiculous, random, and has nothing to do with ANYthing. Most of the time, it's a particular song that I can't stop singing in my head. Yes, at 3:00 AM.
Here's a little taste of what I did last night. I swear to all of you this is not exaggerated. I honestly did this all:
10:34 PM - fall asleep. I don't know the exact moment, but it was around there. Work with me.
2:47 AM - wake up. I do know the exact moment because I looked at the clock. Figure I'm up, I might as well pee. I stumble to the bathroom, leave the lights off, and do my thing.
2:48 AM - back in bed. Roll over and try to get comfy. Tell myself to relax, to just stop worrying. Nothing can be fixed at 3 in the morning. Just let it all go...yes it's working...
2:50 AM - "Thank you for being a friend. Travel down the road and back again. You're heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant..." WHY am I singing the theme to Golden Girls?? Roll my eyes behind my closed lids and turn over to my other side.
2:58 AM - I think my toes are falling asleep. I wonder if I have poor circulation. Worry about the affects of poor circulation. Chastise myself for not exercising more and make the millionth promise to myself to use the fabulous elliptical machine that Scott bought for me about a year ago.
3:05 AM - "Let me go on, like I blister in the sun. Let me go on, big hands I know you're the one..." Who sings this, who sings this, who sings this, who sings this....VIOLENT FEMMES! I remember. I'm proud of myself for about 15 seconds until I realize how ridiculous I'm being. It's 3 in the MORNING!! Shut up mind, go to sleep.
3:10 AM - relax. Let go. Relax. Let go.
3:15 AM - Balki...Peter...No, his name was Larry. Balki and Larry. Balki dated Mary Ann and Larry dated the tall one...Jennifer! What was that show called....I can't think...Balki Balki Balki Balki, Pefect Strangers!! Hmm, that was a funny show. Gosh, how old was I when it was on television....STOP IT!!! GO TO SLEEP!!! It's been what, (look at the clock) a half hour!! Go to sleep sleep sleep sleep. Roll over again, this time to my back.
3:17 AM - I can't sleep on my back. What if I snore and wake up Scott? I have to roll over. But I'm not comfortable on either side right now. Roll over and throw one leg on top of the covers.
3:19 AM - Put my exposed leg back under the covers. It's cold.
3:27 AM - relax. Let go. Relax. Let go. Relax. Let go.
3:38 AM - "I'm not gonna write you a love song, cause you asked for it..."
3:39 AM - I have to blog about this. Nobody will believe what a neurotic mess I am. Now I have to remember everything I thought. What song...oh yeah. "I'm not gonna write you a love song". Crap. Now I have that song in my head. Who sings that song? Tori Amos?? I don't think so, no.
4:04 AM - my toes are annoying me again. I wonder if I have restless leg syndrom. Does it affect your toes? Is that a symptom? I have to remember to look at it in the morning. What time is is anyway? Crap. I have to get up in a couple of hours. I'm going to be so tired.
4:12 AM - "I'm not gonna write you a love song..."
3 comments:
Two words: Advil PM. Try it tonight. You have to break the cycle for a few nights and then you'll be fine. Remember when I had insomnia a while back? And how obsessing over having insomnia made everything worse because the moment I'd get in bed, I was already stressed out that I wouldn't be able to sleep? You just need to prove to yourself that you CAN sleep through the night and you'll be fine. If you don't want Advil PM, use Simply Sleep. I know you know that is because you recommended it to ME.
Now, let's move on from your insomnia to your insanity. Golden Girls? Really?! ;-)
I'm laughing. Sorry. You are such a Davis. This is your grandmother, me, Laurie - all rolled into one. I would use Simply Sleep over Advil PM. Advil treats pain and you aren't in pain. Some nuts will tell you to take the Advil with a couple of glasses of wine. I hope you know better than to do that. There's a tea called Sleepy Tyme. But what you do whether you wake up or not is to go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time in the morning. Even on weekends. Have a piece of toast with a little peanut butter with that tea. Peanut butter is supposed to induce sleep. Or do like I do - get up, turn on Nick at Night and watch a silly sitcom for 30 minutes. You forget what you were thinking about and go to sleep. Works like a charm.
dude we are twinkies! i ALWAYS wake up in the middle of the night, around 3 to 5am and do the same exact thing! it must be a mom thing. seriously! i'll wake up adam and say "hey you awake?" but i have to shake him really hard to wake him up to ask him this. isn't that funny? he gets soooo pissed because i do this to him multiple times a week. it's my little joke i pull on him. and then i snort and roll over and try to go back to bed.
thanks, now i have that song in my head.
Post a Comment