Monday, March 9, 2009

Whirlwind Weekend

Hi there! Everyone have a good weekend?? I did. It was busy, but very fun.

And since you all can't wait to hear it - my weekend recap:

Friday night: Met Sid and Leigh at Legacy for what was supposed to be sushi. We even purposely left early so that we would beat the crowds. Didn't leave early enough, I guess! We pulled up to Ra, and saw about seventeen thousand people crammed on their outdoor patio. It didn't look promising. So I called them and asked what the wait was for a table of 6...and she said it was an HOUR and a HALF! Thanks, but no. Can you imagine?? So we decided to head across the street and give Half Shells a try and see what their wait was. 20 minutes wait - perfect! We sat on a bench outside in the warm evening air while waiting for our beeper to beep us and watched Cole and Abbey run around like the insane children that they are. Got our table on time, got great food and had even better company. Sushi next time, guys.

Saturday: The alarm goes off at 6:45. I know, what the heck!! But tonight was the Whitesboro Education Foundation Gala - and being that I am Madame Vice President of said foundation, it was my job to get to the resort at 8:00 am sharp to start setting up the ballroom. See, we do live and silent auctions and it's my job to set up the silent auction tables. We had over 100 items this year that were donated, so this was going to be quite a task. But it's fun and I love to decorate!! We got everything finished up around 3:00, just in time for Scott, David, Gayle, Holli and James to get there and checked into their hotel rooms. David - bless him - shows up with his cooler in tow, full of beer and wine to get our own party started a little early. He even brought plastic cups so us wine drinking ladies wouldn't have to use the icky hotel room glasses that are cleaned out with Windex. So two glasses of wine later - and did I mention that I had nothing to eat all day? - it was time to get dressed. Into the dress I went - which was quite a bit shorter than I remembered it being...hmmmm, wonder what the old biddies will say about this. And whoa - my heels were really that tall when I bought them?? Oh boy. Scratch that, I'm now known as the Harlot Vice President. Sheesh. Where's my pole?? ANYWAY, off to the corporate sponsor pre-Gala reception that had an open bar. And did I mention that I had nothing to eat all day?? So THAT was fun and at 7 on the dot we showed up with bells on to our reserved table. Everyone looked so nice all dressed up. Susie even came and sat at our table with us. On a side note, we missed having Leigh and Sid there (they have gone with us the past two years running), but they had to attend Brad Wim's funeral in Houston. They were missed and we talked about them several times, knowing that they were having a difficult day. So the party started and the turn out was great - we had places set for 228 and I didn't see an empty chair at a table. The live auction items brought in several thousand dollars and I don't know the tally yet for the silent auctions, but I'm sure it was good. We had a great band playing and the party lasted till almost midnight. We laughed and laughed, hooted and hollered, snickered and snorted. Great time!! I won the auction items I wanted to win, so I was happy! Of course our group had to go find a hotel bar after, and then Holli blurts out - Lets go to the casino!! At midnight. So we did! Off to the casino we went in our fancy dresses and stripper shoes. Scott and I did really well, actually, and we stumbled back to our hotel room at 4 AM. I don't have any photos of us - but Holli does. I promise to get some posted shortly.

Sunday: Woke up after what was actually only a nap and decided that everyone wanted to go to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. Had a great breakfast, laughed some more about the previous night and it was time to go home and see the kids. It was such a nice day out!! While Abbey was napping I sat out in a lawn chair reading my book and managed to get a sunburn. Cole rode his "nun" around and Scott played with his new toy - another 4 wheeler. He's such a brat. But that's a whole new post.

2 comments:

mp said...

dang! you guys had a kick ass weekend! glad you guys had good times!

Leigh Leigh said...

Marie's comment made me laugh because I pictured Napoleon Dynamite saying it.

The tables look fab! So glad you guys were able to have fun, even though Sid and I were gone. I bet it was hard because we are cool like that. Hey! - you should've taken a photo of us and blown it up really big and sat us in a couple of empty chairs! Next time.