Thursday, November 19, 2009

As promised, and I'm sure anxiously anticipated (ahem).....

10 Songs That I Love

1.  "Famous Last Words" by My Chemical Romance.  As anyone that knows me knows, I heart My Chemical Romance.  It's tough to pick a favorite song of theirs, but this one always gets turned up ear-shattering loud when I'm in the car by myself.   It's a song about realizing that you'll do anything to be forgiven when faced with the possibility of losing the one you can't live without.  Taking no as an answer is not an option.

I am not afraid to keep on living
I am not afraid to walk this world alone
Honey if you stay, I'll be forgiven
Nothing you can stay will stop me going home

2.  "Letters to God" by Boxcar Racer.  It's short, it's dramatic.  I get the chills every time I listen to the quiet piano music slowly crescendo into the loud guitars and drums.  It's a song about making a bargain with God, if he just allows you to live.  And don't we all hope he listens?

Caught off guard
All worked up
The air is as dark and cold as night
Let me go
I'm not done
I swear I'll take just one lifetime
And I...
I won't lie
I won't sin
Maybe I don't wanna go
Can't You wait?
Maybe I don't wanna go

3.  "Livin On A Prayer" by Bon Jovi.  If you are close to my age and you claim that you weren't in love with Jon Bon Jovi, then you're a liar and I am calling you out.  And frankly, he's still hot.  I love this song and I love to scream along with this song.  Mom loves it too, don't you, Mummy??  And who wouldn't love it?  It's about two young, down and out lovers who just want to get by and be with each other and to heck with everyone else. 

We gotta hold on
To what we got
It doesn't make a difference
If we make it or not
We got eachother
And that's a lot for love...
We'll give it a shot

4.  "El Paso" by Marty Robbins.  Because my Grampa used to sing it all the time.  And because at Scott and I's wedding rehersal dinner, he sent the mariachi band over to our table and had them sing it to us. 

5.  "Single Ladies" by Beyonce.  April, stop making that face.  You know you like this song.  How in the world can you hear it and not sing along?  And that video??!!  That leotard!!  For the few minutes that this song lasts, I can also sing and dance just like her.  I am fierce for three and a half minutes. 

I need no permission, did I mention
Don't pay him any attention
Cause you had your turn and now you're gonna learn
What it's really like to miss me
Cuz if you liked it then you should've put a ring on it

6.  "Love Story" by Taylor Swift.  If you don't like Taylor, then you aren't my friend any more.  I love that she puts her feelings and emotions to music and has the courage to share them with the entire world.  Could I do that?  Heck, no.  Anyway, this song.  Ah, true love.  I always get verklempt at this part...

Romeo save me I've been feeling so alone
I keep waiting for you but you never come
Is this in my head? I don't know what to think
He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring
And said, Marry me Juliet
You'll never have to be alone
I love you and that's all I really know
 I talked to your Dad go pick out a white dress
It's a love story baby just say yes.

7.  "Bolero" by Maurice Ravel.  I know, it's more of a musical score than a song.  But it's awesome.  And it lasts 17 whopping minutes.  Could you write seventeen minutes worth of music??  I don't think so.  I want to be a conductor when I listen to this song. 

8.  "Ant's Marching" by Dave Matthews Band.  I'm not a true and total Dave fan, but I love this song.  And I love their live versions of this song just as much as the "perfect" recorded version.  It's really a pretty dark song about being stuck like an ant marching through a pointless life, not taking the time to enjoy anything, which is really a total downer.  But it's got such an up-beat tune that I can't help but love it. 

Driving it on this highway
All these cars and upon the sidewalk
People in every direction
No words exchanged
No time to exchange

And all the little ants are marching
Red and black antennas waving
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way

9.  "Best of You" by Foo Fighters.  Dave Grohl is fab-U-lous.  Seriously, totally, amazingly fabulous.  And it was hard to pick my favorite Foo song, but I love this one.  He's saying, hey?  Is someone getting the best of you, because you aren't giving your best to me.  But he can't get over her.  He's really singing it about me. 

I've got another confession to make
I'm your fool
Everyone's got their chains to break
Holdin' you

10.  "Gives You Hell" by All American Rejects.  First of all, Tyson Ritter is adorable.  And he's funny.  And this song cracks me up every time I hear it and I always think of one particular person who I always hope that seeing me happy would give him hell.   You know you've all thought it at one time. 

I wake up every evening with a big smile on my face
And it never feels out of place
And you're still probably working at a 9 to 5 pace
Tell me how bad that tastes

When you see my face
hope it gives you hell hope it gives you hell
When you walk my way
hope it gives you hell hope it gives you hell

Best line of the song:

And truth be told I miss you
And truth be told I'm lying!

2 comments:

mp said...

ok i think we are going to be ok. i love 9 out of 10 of those songs too. *phew*

do you like sweet dreams by beyonce? i love it but they are now starting to play it too much on the radio, it will probably fizzle in another week or two off my ipod.

Leigh Leigh said...

I hate Bon Jovi, but I love Jon Bovi, the SNL Bon Jovi opposite band!

"Ohhh, we're all the way there, ohhh dying on a prayer give my foot, we will not make it I do not swear. Ohhhh! Dying on a prayer!"