Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fall Down Go Boom


So my mom fell and broke her ankle. She was walking through the parking lot at work and just fell. She came home and waited until the next morning to go to the emergency room, despite all of our objections. We wanted her to go right then, but does mom do anything that anyone tells her to do? Not really. So she went the next morning - and fell again getting into the wheel chair and then my father banged her into a wall on accident while pushing her in the wheel chair. It sounded like a Chevy Chase movie, I swear. And the diagnosis? Broke. Can you believe it? My mommy has a broken ankle! I would be calling everyone I know, recounting the horror of my catastrophic injury. Not her. She's more ticked off that she can't drive than anything else. That's my momma. Not exactly a pity party kind of gal. Good for her.

It's Thursday of the first week of my first Year of Me. And know what? Monday - Jillian on the elliptical. Tuesday - workout at the gym with the trainer. Wednesday - Jillian on the elliptical. Thursday - workout at the gym with the trainer. And tomorrow Jillian and I have another date. I'm watching everything I eat, everything I drink. I'm even measuring. Give me a few months, and you won't even recognize me. I can't wait to be happy with myself. I can't wait to not have to wear a zip up over t shirts to disguise my huge innertube. I can't wait to catch a glimpse of myself in a store window reflection and not want to run away screaming. And know what did it? What really got my fanny in gear? I had plans to get with it anyway - but it was the events of New Years Eve that got me. I was the biggest girl at the New Years eve party we went to. Seriously, I was. I'm not even joking so don't even try and tell me that I'm being rediculous. Granted, the party was at Laurie's friends house and the friend is a ballerina with Ballet Arizona and every single woman there was also a ballerina. BUT, that's beside the point. Do you know what that feels like to be the biggest girl in a room? To look around and think, "Oh no." Not so good, my friends. Not so good. But I'm glad that it happened. Because I know that when I report how much weight I've lost come Monday, it'll be just the beginning.

6 comments:

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

OK - I know it's impolite to giggle at the thought of your mom getting into the wheelchair and your dad running her into the wall - but I did! And, you know why, your Mom and Dad sound just like Paul and me! Karen, if you are reading this, I, too, can fall just walking on perfectly even pavement. In fact, I'm so good at it that I do it practically every day. If you need proof, just ask Leigh-Leigh. I am so lucky to never have broken anything. And, don't even get me started on my escapades getting in and out of our boat - priceless. I hope you are recovering nicely, free of pain and that you are well enough for our proposed trip to Alaska!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Momma B

mp said...

oh no! sorry your momma can't drive. and that she has a broken ankle :(

you go with your bad self. jillian is going to get sick of you! have a great date!

Karen R said...

First, Stacey - I'm really proud of you for sticking with the exercise. Even people that exercise like fanatics say that they have to push themselves to do it, so don't wait for that euphoric moment when you fall in love with it. Ain't gonna happen. And second, I fell on the sidewalk that was covered in slippery white lime residue. I didn't just walk through the parking lot one moment and fall the next. But you also failed to mention that I fell in the street after the Nutcracker on Dec. 28 and sprained my left ankle. This is my right ankle. So, yes, I'm pretty much a loser. And what did my firstborn do when I told her I fell? She laughed and said "who falls twice in a week and hurts the other ankle?" She's out of the will, I tell you. And yes, if I have to scoot along on a chair with wheels, I'll be on that ship to Alaska!! Can hardly wait.

Leigh Leigh said...

"Anything less than the best is a felony." --Vanilla Ice

You are rocking the house down with Jillian. And don't give her credit for your hard work. All she does is holler at you - you're the only sweating your butt off.

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

OK, I take back my giggle. Karen, you fell for a very good reason. I, on the other hand, fall for absolutely no reason. Congrats, by the way, Stacey. I'm going to be very jealous on the Alaska trip. Momma B

April said...

Poor mom!! Even though I laughed at loud at your dad "allegedly" running her into a wall by accident. Whatever Larry!!

And just because I love you and we are such good, old friends, I am going to do you a favor. I am going to help you feel better about yourself. Aren't I sweet? Yeah, I know! Just because I am all about lifting the spirits of others, I am going to send you a picture of my big, fat, cottage cheese dimpled ass so you'll stop complaining about your non-existent innertube. I guarantee you every one of those ballerinas makes herself puke after just looking at a protein bar. No thank you. I'd rather be happy and a little fluffier. I have no issues with wanting to be healthier, but you my dear friend are being way too hard on yourself. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Thank you. That is all.