Saturday, December 20, 2008

Do You Hear What I Hear?


Hear that? Me, neither.

Don't you just love mornings when you wake up long before everyone else? It's quiet, you can do what you want - read, watch some quiet tv, catch up on your blogging - all in quiet. So here I sit, with just a lamp on next to me in our large overstuffed chair with my feet up on the ottoman. The tree lights are quietly twinkling next to me with the dark window behind it. Yes, it's almost 7 AM and still dark out. Well, I take that back. The sun is starting to rise, looks like. I've been sitting here since 6 and I hope to have at least another hour to enjoy my coffee in the quiet.

Of course, being me, I'm thinking while I'm sitting. My mind is always running. It makes it difficult for me to fall asleep, fall back asleep if I wake up, to relax. Always running. But for some reason, I always forget things. You'd think I'd be sharp as a tack....but I digress. I'm thinking about the coming year. What will it bring? Lower gas prices are nice, but will the banks ease up on lending? Since our business revolves around customers having money to pay us, that is sort of important to us. And I'm thinking of Leigh, who is blissfully happy in New York City right now with her Siddy and two friends. Sidebar here, that little ratfink has spend the last two holiday seasons in NYC. Is that fair? Nope. But I'm thrilled for her. She said it was snowing yesterday as they made their way to MOMA and then to the Frick. And I'm thinking of the upcoming week ahead, the hustle and bustle that comes with Christmas. Will the kids like their presents? Did I forget anyone on my card list?? Did I remember to mail the cards??? And while cooking, am I supposed to turn or not turn the jalapeno poppers that Zac taught me how to make and now I'm making myself for Christmas Eve?? If I turn them, will the cream cheese run out?? These are the important questions I'm pondering this peaceful morning.

Today's gonna be a busy day. All of us are heading down to the Gaylord hotel to go see "Ice" and to let the kids see their fantastic Santa complete with real reindeer. What is "Ice", you ask? It's just that. Ice. Click here to see what I mean. Gigantic sculptures of ice that are on display for you to look at. And I'm not talking some lame swan you may see at a wedding reception. I'm talking life-size ice train cars full of ice presents. Life-size ice santa in his ice sleigh with his ice reindeer. It's amazing. We went to it last year, and it was just mind blowing what these artists do. This year they're supposed to have a larger than life Nativity scene. I'm really looking forward to it. And yes, we'll take lots of pictures. Holli and James and their daughter, Hattie, are coming with us along with B and J and my neice, Sydney.

After we're through with that, we're heading home to drop off the kiddo's with Ashley and then head down to Frisco to grab an early dinner and then finish up our Christmas shopping. I think Holli and James are planning on joining us, so it should be a fun night.

Well, folks, it's still quiet here in Redish-ville. The sun finally made it's way above the horizon and the clouds are all pink and purple with the light. So I think I'll have one last cup of coffee (have you tried the Coffeemate holiday flavor, Eggnog???? To die for!) before my brood wakes up.

Hope you're enjoying a little peace and quiet on your Saturday morning.


3 comments:

mp said...

i did have some peace and quit here too. adam is gone, lost in the woods probably, my friend brought her wii over last night and left it here this morning for the kids to play, so they have been playing it since i woke up. they kindly shut my door and let me sleep in. it was awesome.

have fun with the ice, and shopping and dinner. mmmmm....dinner, that sounds good. i'm hungry :)

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

So, will you share the jalapeno poppers recipe with us? Sounds so good. And, if you like the eggnog Coffeemate - try this. Just pour a little egg nog in your coffee - man, oh man, it's good! Can't wait for you to post pics of the Gaylord!
Momma B

Leigh said...

Hooray for quiet, peaceful mornings with a good book or the laptop and some coffee. Heaven!

Missed you terribly while I was gone and to think I won't see you until after the first of the year. Boo hoo.

I hope you finished up the holiday shopping, and hope you guys had fun at the Gaylord! Any pics?