Friday, December 12, 2008

I'm leavin on a jet plane

I think I used that title before...but I'm going green and I recycled it.

I'm going to catch an afternoon puddle jumper and head down to Austin to meet Scott! I'm so excited! Gayle has the kids and we'll drive home together tomorrow afternoon. We have reservations at our favorite restaurant, Trulucks. Yummy!

So, I had an interesting night last night. Let me start off by saying that there are many things that are nice about living on land in the country. But we're not going to discuss these things right now. We're going to discuss the crappy drawbacks to living on land in the country. Like feeling as though you walked into an Andy Griffith episode on a daily basis (who ARE these people???) , and like having to smell cow and horse poop on a daily basis, and like having to have Terminex on constant call because of the field mice. Now, lets just dwell a bit on that last one.

Field mice.

In my house.

My house is reasonably clean five days a week and spotless the other two (when Gayle is there), but always free of filth and old food and all of the other things that you imagine attract mice. No, I have none of it. What I do have is a nice warm place for these rat bastards to come sleep at night. And one decided to bunk under my bed last night.

I was awakened at 3:45 this morning to that telltale "scratch-scratch" directly under my pillow. Good lord! I flew out of bed, slapped the light switch, and peeked behind the headboard. Nothing. But I knew he was there, mocking me. Laughing at my fright with his little filthy friends. So I got down on my hands and knees with a flashlight and looked under the bed (yes, I'm a bad ass). Nothing. Just the empty glue trap. Hmmm. Lights went back off, and just as I was drifting back to sleep..."scratch-scratch". I was on my feet in two seconds flat, light went back on....nothing. But I'm so tired, so the light went back off. Immediately I hear a huge scuffle under the bed, like the little monster is trying to throw my box spring off the hinges. With my heart in my throat, I get up and look. The glue trap is gone! YES! I got you, you miserable little wretch. Practically sobbing with relief, I shined the light under my dust ruffle. There was the glue trap, half way across the bed - empty. EMPTY! That mother..... Anyway, he got away.

The light stayed on until the alarm went off at 6:30. Needless to say, I was awake when it went off.

Country livin' at it's finest!

3 comments:

mp said...

oh my gosh what a stinker! how in the heck did he get off? he must be a big sucka.

Bobbie Brodsgaard said...

Not good. We, too, live in the country, but we only deal with lots and lots and lots of spiders and scorpions. They really don't bother anybody - just lots of cobwebs. Rats, mice - eeewww! Overheard a phone conversation between a skank who was in the doctor's office and someone calling her who apparently wanted to buy her boa constrictor. She informed them that "she" was high maintenance and ate rabbits and rats. So, there's your answer - get a boa constrictor.

Leigh Leigh said...

I would've checked into a motel. Seriously. UGH!