Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!


I LOVE HALLOWEEN! I've loved it for years. I love decorating the house, I love scaring kids! It's the best. But I hate scary movies and I hate being scared.

I can remember some of the Halloween costumes we made for Nikki when she was growing up. Once we made her a fat tourist. We got an old pair of linen Sansabelt shorts from my dad's drawer and stuffed her front and her back with throw pillows to greatly widen her waistline. We dug around the closet some more and found a hideous teal and yellow Hawaiian print shirt. We threw that on and pulled it down tight over her new waist pooch. Another strange item was found - a neon pink "Alaska!" fanny pack. Where on earth did THAT come from?? On that went all the way around her considerable girth. A Polaroid around her neck, a wide brimmed visor, black socks with sandals and she was done! She kept dancing and thrusting her hips forward, making her pillow-laden waist do all kinds of hysterical things. We laughed so hard.

Another time Nikki was about 11 or 12 and mom put her in a purple sweat suit and attached a zillion purple balloons, making her a bundle of grapes. She put a stem on her head made out of felt. After we attached all her balloons, we were faced with a great challenge. How in the world is she going to get in the car to get to her friends house??? I think she ended up kneeling in the front seat. Luckily, she didn't have far to go. Later that night a meany kid came up behind Nikki and popped one of her balloons. Nikki got so pissed, she turned around and chased after the kid, probably scaring him out of his wits.

Tonight we are taking the kids over to David and Gayle's. They're having a big party and then we're taking the kiddo's trick or treating. Or as Abbey calls it - tick or teeting. Abbey is a princess (of course) and Cole is Darth Vader. I'll post pictures later!

Have a fun and safe evening chasing around after your little ghouls and goblins!

2 comments:

Leigh Leigh said...

Happy Halloween, freeeeend. Get it? Friend? Only I changed it up so it rhymed? Am I your most clever freeeeend?

Karen R said...

I forgot about the tourist costume! What fun. Laurie had said that people complained about not knowing what to wear to their Halloween party, so Laurie just gave up and told them they didn't have to wear a costume. What a bunch of losers. I was thinking that it's too bad they didn't go rummaging through their closets and put together some silly costume like we used to do. God knows we didn't have the money to order $50 costumes for you little darlings.