Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sick


"I cannot go to school today, said little Peggy Ann McKay. I have the measles and the mumps. A gash, a rash and purple bumps. My mouth is wet, my throat is dry, I'm going blind in my right eye...."

I recited that Shel Silverstein poem from Where The Sidewalk Ends when I was in about the 4th grade during a talent show. I wore my mom's blue bathrobe and had a box of Kleenex under my arm. I thought I would recite a little from memory and pay homage to myself, as I am in fact, SICK.

I've been denying it for days, but I can't ignore it any longer. I won't gross you out with all of my symptoms, but just know that when I speak I sound as though I have cotton crammed in my nasal cavities. Feels about like that, also.

So, how are you doing? That's good.

So - to catch up.

Saturday morning we had Cole's football game. Again - they won! Their last game is this weekend. If they win they'll be 8-1! Then that evening we met up with Sid and Leigh and I got to experience my first haunted house. Yes, I am 32 years old and I've never been to a haunted house. I've led a very sheltered life. Let me just tell you, it scared the living bejesus out of me. I was NOT wanting to go at all - I even hate scary movies! Won't even watch them. I had visions of myself having a panic attack or passing out. I just knew that something truly terrible would happen. Or one of those creepy people would TOUCH ME. That was my real fear. Earlier in the day I was paying for some tickets to get into Boo at the Zoo in Gainesville (for the kids) and I asked the girl selling the tickets if she'd even been to that haunted house - as the house is also in Gainesville and she looked a little on the creepy side herself. She said that she had been and that it was a good one. I asked her if the people grabbed our touched you. She just looked at me and asked in a really odd tone, "Do you want them to grab you?" I just blinked for a minute and said, "Um. No." Then she just kept looking at me and started this real slow, creepy smile. My eyes got huge and I just walked away. What the F was THAT all about? Crazy teenager. Ugh. So, she got me all nervous. Were they going to touch me, were they NOT going to touch me? I DIDN'T WANT TO GO! But, it was so much fun and I'm glad that I went. Even though I almost peed my pants and I would have physically climbed up Scott if I had been able to.

Speaking of my knight in shining armor, Scott has been out of town since Sunday early morning. He's supposed to come back tonight - maybe. I hope so. Anyway, I got up after he left and decided that there was no way in H-E double hockey sticks was I going to sit around bored all day . Off to the Ft. Worth zoo the kids and I went. We had a really great time. Left around 10 and didn't get home till almost 4! Kids were pooped, but it was all good.I don't know if you can tell, but see that light orange thing to the left of Cole's head? That's a large pumpkin that has an elephant head carved in to it. The zoo had all of these enormous real pumpkins with carvings on the fronts. They had elephants, bears, an eagle, wolf. They were all so cool. Sort of like an ice sculpture but out of pumpkin!

3 comments:

Leigh Leigh said...

So you finally got sick. Ugh. Hope you feel better soon! How about Sid's boss, Steve? His son was in the hospital with a stomach bug. Kept throwing up for days and days and no one knew what was wrong with him. Turns out he has a virus that is contagious and Steve has to be tested for it. Did Steve stay home from work (when quite frankly he should have been in the hospital with his sick child)? No. Did Sid have to endure Steve's presence for several days? Yes. Son of a biscuit - if Sid catches that bug, his boss is paying our medical bills. Idiot.

We had fun at the haunted house! And that hot chocolate - hello! Did I tell you I looked up the calories online? 450. I could have eaten a gigantic slice of cheesecake for that. Oh well.

My comment is so long I should've just emailed you. I hope you feel better soon and so sorry you finally came down with something nasty. Maybe I'll send Edward over tonight, if I can bare to spare him. Only 3 weeks till we can drool at him onscreen! Ahhhhhh.

mp said...

glad you had a creepy time at the haunted house :) Do you want them to touch you? That's hilarious.

Sorry you are sick. That's no fun. Hopefully you'll get better fast!

Anonymous said...

You're too funny about the girl with the creepy smile. Kids look like they had a great time at the Zoo. Glad Scott is home. Sorry you're sick. I think it's the change in weather and pressure - or something. Everyone is getting sick with sinus infections and headaches. One person even ended up in the hospital with a horrible case of pneumonia. Had 3 heart "episodes" while in the hospital - all from a guy who "never gets sick." Scary stuff.