Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bye Bye Dum Dum


Last night I got home, and as usual, I had no interest in cooking. Even though over the weekend I bought myself a new cookbook - same one that I bought Laurie for Christmas. She says that she really likes it, so I figured that I needed some inspiration. Cooking to me is like laundry, a necessity, but if it can be put off for a day or four- even better. Well, even though I had my shiny new cookbook with the dividers put in their correct places, I still had no interest. So we loaded the kids up and took them to the gourmet Olive Garden for dinner. As you all know, there really isn't a whole lot to choose from around here, and believe it or not, we were actually excited when Olive Garden was built. Sad, but true.

Scott thinks it's funny to pester Abbey until she makes her irritated grunt/scream and hollers, "No no no Dah-Dee!". He always waits until we're seated at a restaurant. Funny thing is that he hollers at Cole for pestering his sister daily, but as you know, Scott's exempt from all rules - another blog subject, another time. After a very eventful dinner we rode back home and let the kids run around the yard for a while. It was actually pretty cool out, so they were happy to be outside. Abbey was running in circles still saying, "No no no Dah-Dee", over and over again. Go figure. It's funny how she can entertain herself for hours just running in circles. Then off to the sandbox they went. They started dumping gobs and gobs of sand on poor Skeeter who was laying by the sandbox like a sentry watching the kids. He just let them cover him in sand, and if a dog could have rolled his eyes, he would have. But he obviously loves them because he let them keep at it for at least 30 minutes. For some reason when they play in the sand, they never are pestered by each other. Abbey never shrieks at Cole, Cole never hollers for Abbey to stop it. It's their little Switzerland, I guess. Before I knew it, it was 8:45 - stupid daylight savings time gets me all screwed up - and they were STILL outside. Time to come in, with their sandy heads and feet and hands. Scott had Cole headed to the shower and I took Abbey in to change her diaper. When I peeled back her diaper, she had what looked like a diaper made of sand. Everywhere the diaper was, was now replaced with a coating of sand. Poor baby! I can't even imagine the chafing... I hauled her to the shower and sprayed her down with the sprayer, but all she wanted to do was eat the water coming out of the sprayer. Then I made the mistake of actually giving her the sprayer, and she promptly turned it right on me (I was still dressed) - actually laughing at me while she soaked me through. I no longer felt sorry for her diaper made of sand.

Fast forward to this morning. Remember how I said that Scott pestered Abbey last night at dinner? Well, she is such a little woman. She remembered and held her grudge till this morning. He bent down to give her a kiss on his way out and said, "Bye bye baby!" and she replied, "Bye bye Dum Dum". That's my girl!

No comments: