Sunday, September 7, 2008

First Game

Yesterday the Whitesboro First Grade Flag Football team took on the fierce Aubrey First Grade Flag Football team.

This was Cole's first game ever, and boy was he nervous! He had been wearing his new jersey since he received it Thursday night - so you could say that he was just a tad excited, too! I know that every football player needs a cheerleader - so I found Abbey a little outfit that I had to tweak a bit in order to get it to the correct color combination. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with my efforts!!

So, with his cheerleader ready to holler her support, our little number 45 was ready to hit the road.
I have to admit, I was a little nervous when we got there. These Aubrey kids had on real football pants, we have mesh shorts. These kids looked serious. And if number 68 was truly a first grader, I'll lick the bottom of your shoe! I was worried about our little guys. But the coaches took control and had them line up for stretches and some quick warm up sprints. Cole didn't ever stop smiling. I was very happy to see that our team had quite the little following! I'd estimate that there were about 75 people on our side of the grandstands to about 20 on Aubrey's side. Whitesboro won the coin toss and got the ball first. Cole was started as a tight end and he was great! He did his best to block and it wasn't often that one of the other kids got around him - in fact a few times the kid he was blocking would turn tail and run in the opposite direction! He played on every rotation and with each successful block he'd do his best Tiger Woods arm pump. Yes, you could say he was excited. That's him crouching in the center of the picture.
Our very first play of the game was a great 40 yard run. I can't imagine how long a 100 yard football field looks to a 6 year old with little 6 year old legs. On our first posession of the game, we scored and successfully got the 2 point conversion. By half time it was 16 - 0. Aubrey made two touchdowns, but we also made two more.
We hollered, we cheered. We won!! Bearcats 28 - Chaparrals 14

3 comments:

Leigh Leigh said...

Cole is a star, no doubt! The first thing he said to me Saturday, with a huge smile on his face, was "Hey Leigh! Guess what? I knocked a boy down today at my game!" Then he showed me his spiral and I was very impressed.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so descriptive about the game. My heart is breaking that I couldn't see it myself, but I appreciate the video you sent. I sent Cole a Star of the Game postcard. And next time I see Abbey, I'll show her some moves. Yeah team!!!

mp said...

aww how sweet. glad he had a good time.