
I honestly have nothing to blog about. So I guess I'll just give an update on Zac down in Huntsville. Not the prison - where he's staying while helping to restore power to Ike victims.
He got there on Sunday and said it was a virtual sea of lineman trucks - bucket trucks, pickup trucks, everything. Over 7000 vehicles needed to be logged, inventoried, checked. I can't imagine how long this took, but judging from the above photo - it took a while. Crews from 31 states are there now and by today 10,000 workers are in the area helping to restore the power.
His crew was lucky enough to have rooms given to them at a local Motel 6 - I believe he had to stay two nights in his truck, so I'm sure a Motel 6 was a luxury after that.
Zac said that upon driving into the area, they were greeted by people on the sides of the road, holding handmade signs that read, "Thanks for coming!". He also said that FEMA is supplying them all of their food while they are working down there, and it's almost embarrassing the gourmet meals that they are getting while the storm victims aren't getting the same treatment. He was relieved to find out that his crew was not assigned to areas that are flooded - he said that there are men working chest deep in water all day long. Electricity and water - great combination. They are working in 16 hour shifts with only 5 - 6 hour sleep breaks.
They were told that they could be staying as long as Thanksgiving - which would be great financially - but would be a real hardship family wise and will certainly be exhausting.
I'm trying my hardest to get Laurie to bring Jack out and to come and stay out here for a while. She currently watches a baby girl three days a week, and I hope that she tells the parents that other arrangements will have to be made for a little while. I'm worried about her being there for so long all by herself. I'm sure it's lonely and the days just crawl by.
Laurie has given me his Motel 6 address. We're all putting together little care packages and goodies for him. Hopefully they will keep his spirits up, keep his mind sharp, and keep him safe while working such a dangerous job.
2 comments:
oh my gosh that is crazy! you never know how hard it is until someone gives you an update like this. i feel for the family and hope that Laurie (is this your friend or family?) decide to come and stay with you.
Go Zac!!
Tell Laurie we will have SOOOO much fun if she comes down. Shopping, lunching, swimming, BBQing. I'll even watch the kiddos and you guys can have sister time!
Post a Comment